Python 2.4

Wahlstedt Jyrki jwa at macports.org
Mon Mar 19 10:51:07 PDT 2012

On 19.3.2012, at 11.17, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2012, at 23:57, Dan Ports wrote:
>
>> We probably ought to take a good look at ports depending on python
>> 2.4/2.5/2.6 and see if there's a good reason they're not using 2.7.
>
> I agree. If someone's looking for a project to undertake, this would be one. Identify ports using python < 2.7. Identify why. If no good reason, add python 2.7 support, preferably with variants, preferably with 2.7 being the default. Once no ports remain using only python 2.4, we can remove python 2.4 from MacPorts entirely. Ditto later for 2.5.

Just a note here:
Python 2.6 is still developed, mostly security patches, I'd say, but at the moment there are release candidates for Python versions 2.6 and up. Python 2.4 and 2.5 are definitely EOL'd.

>> Beyond that, I'm not sure. I wouldn't be opposed to dropping support
>> for python24/python25 (and some of the older perl versions?) just to
>> simplify things, but could be convinced otherwise if there's good
>> reason to keep them around.

I support dropping the 2.4 and 2.5 ports. That would also make unifying the ports easier, when one wouldn't have to mind stepping on 2.4's toes anymore:)

!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
!	http://www.wahlstedt.fi/jyrki/
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
! PGP key ID: 0x139CC386 fingerprint: F355 B46F 026C B8C1 89C0  A780 6366 EFD9 139C C386