[MacPorts] howto/SyncingWithSVN modified

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Mar 25 19:31:05 PDT 2012

On Mar 24, 2012, at 22:00, Ryan Stonecipher wrote:

>> From: Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
>>
>> Anywhere we list http URLs where https is available, just switch it to https; don't even mention that http is also available. That's what I've been doing in other cases.

> Is SSL necessary for end users syncing their local checkouts in a
> read-only operation, for committers submitting revisions, or for both?
> I could see benefits to ensuring commit operations are secure, but
> have doubts about checkouts.
> Encoding and decoding data burns CPU cycles and in turn watts; if the
> data transferred in a checkout operation is neither private nor
> sensitive, is the increased energy cost justified?

We don't require SSL for anything. But I think it's a good idea to use it.

Some http proxies mangle WebDAV (i.e. Subversion) requests; by using https, we ensure proxies aren't able to interfere with the transmission; by recommending users use https, we avoid some support emails.

github serves all pages https; seems to work for them.