[enhancement] proposal - make all ports independent of which version of Perl is installed or the major one

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Tue May 15 18:05:45 PDT 2012

On May 15, 2012, at 3:35 PM, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:

> Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>> On May 15, 2012, at 6:09 PM, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:
>>> ports can be made independent of which version of Perl is installed or
>>> the major one by
>>

>> In my opinion, we would be better served by just choosing one version of perl (which would be 5.14 right now) as our 'perl', and possibly offering older versions as options (although I don't think it's really necessary).
>
> That doesn't fix the problem with the hardcoding of p5.12 and perl5.12
>
> We would still have to go through all ports and replace instances of
> 	p5.12    -> p5.14
> 	perl5.12 -> perl5.14
>
> And what happens when we get to Perl6 ??? or Perl 5.16 , 5.18 ...
>
> Replacing 5.12 with ${perl5.major} would ensure that people can
> transition painlessly - more or less - when upgrading to a new version
> of Perl.

Did you know that if perl5.12 is built with "+threads" then perl modules are installed into a different directory then otherwise?

I do not recall why but at some point I needed "perl5.12 +threads +shared" and after upgrading  perl5.12 with these variants NONE of my perl modules were found.
It was required that I reinstall all perl modules.

Would perl modules built with perl -threads -shared work after switching to perl +threads +shared?

Is there a reason that perl does not build +threads +shared always or as default?

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)