How to fix "broken ports"?

Marko Käning MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Sun May 27 03:35:38 PDT 2012

Hi,

attica was breaking kdelibs4 and kde4-runtime yesterday. I fixed that by revbumping the corresponding ports.

I think one would want to do something like rdependents on all existing ports:
---
$ port rdependents attica
The following ports are dependent on attica:
  kdelibs4
    kde4-runtime
      kmymoney4-devel
    kdepimlibs4
    libalkimia
---
and check for each dependent port whether the broken lib is actually used by it (and if so signal that a revbump is needed).

But it looks like this can only be done if the corresponding ports are actually installed.

So, every library update will be followed by lots of - unfortunately - UNFORESEEABLE revbumps for all (potential) dependents.

Too bad, but I guess there is no other easy way to handle this.

Luckily there is now "port -d rev-upgrade", which makes life for the maintainers much easier!

	Here is a mighty 'Thanks' to Clemens and all MP devs!

Greets,
Marko