problem during android update -->> option to disable automatic port upgrade requested

Marko Käning MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Mon May 28 01:55:55 PDT 2012

Hi,

I met a problem with the android port during its update.

Since the android SDK downloads and installs many java files in

	/opt/local/share/java/android-sdk-macosx/

the following happened:
---
The following installed ports are outdated:
android                        17_0 < 18_0
--->  Fetching archive for android
--->  Attempting to fetch android-18_0.darwin_10.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/android
--->  Fetching distfiles for android
--->  Attempting to fetch android-sdk_r18-macosx.zip from http://lil.fr.distfiles.macports.org/android
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for android
--->  Extracting android
--->  Configuring android
--->  Building android
--->  Staging android into destroot
--->  Installing android @18_0
--->  Cleaning android
--->  Deactivating android @17_0
--->  Cleaning android
--->  Activating android @18_0
Error: org.macports.activate for port android returned: Image error: /opt/local/share/java/android-sdk-macosx/tools/apps/SdkController/AndroidManifest.xml already exists and does not belong to a registered port.  Unable to activate port android. Use 'port -f activate android' to force the activation.
--->  Uninstalling android @17_0
--->  Cleaning android
--->  Uninstalling android @18_0
--->  Cleaning android
---

I had to do "rm -rf /opt/local/share/java/android-sdk-macosx/" to be able to activate the new port version.

However, this lead to the consequence that all virtual devices were suddenly unusable and their data therefore lost.

I guess in cases like this - where the port's functionality gets severely affected due to other dependencies (like files installed by the program itself without MacPorts control) - it would be worthwhile to somehow declare the port in such a way that the port would not automatically get updated but rather the user be required to force the upgrade manually.

Greets,
Marko