What should a port do if 10.4 is not supported any more?

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Tue May 29 07:10:36 PDT 2012

> Use of the current ports tree assumes use of the current version of MacPorts. We don't support use of earlier versions of MacPorts.

Well we've seen that not be the case when things from the future versions are sent out too early. Usually this is mitigated by wrapping with exists/info checks: when it's available it gets used else a workaround/old way of doing things. Would this not work for supporting portfiles in old MacPorts, even if not "supported"?

> MacPorts 2.1.1 still works fine on Tiger and up.

We're just no longer distributing installers for it? The site indicates Leopard is the only legacy platform with installers, implying Tiger can't install MacPorts.