What should a port do if 10.4 is not supported any more?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue May 29 07:35:54 PDT 2012

On May 29, 2012, at 09:15, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>> If a port doesn't support Tiger, it should so indicate with a pre-fetch error message. Examples of ports that do this include csu and nodejs.
>
> Thank you. This is all that I wanted to know. I was looking for such
> ports, but didn't know how to find them myself. In principle one could
> fetch 1.9.3 on Tiger, but I guess that it would be a headache to write
> it properly and maintain it.

I think it's reasonable to concentrate on providing the newest version of the software, with the best support for the newest versions of OS X, at the expense of very old versions of OS X.

At this point we're still talking about a development version of the software, which will go into the wxWidgets-devel port; most users won't be using that anyway.