[100023] trunk/dports/devel/codeblocks/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 27 02:40:02 PST 2012

On Nov 25, 2012, at 03:26, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>>> +# apparently only works with gcc
>>> +if {${configure.compiler} == "clang"} {
>>> +    configure.compiler gcc
>>> +}
>>> +
>>
>> "gcc" is an alias, not a specific compiler, so it should not be used in configure.compiler.
>
> Why not ? I wanted system gcc...
>
>> On latest Xcode for example, "gcc" is a symlink to llvm-gcc. What you probably should write is:
>>
>> compiler.blacklist clang
>>
>> And add a comment above that, referencing the upstream bug port about the problem. If there isn't one yet, please file one; blacklisting compilers is meant to be a temporary measure.
>
> It's not so much that clang is on the blacklist, as it is that Code::Blocks 10.05
> was only tested with wxMac and Snow Leopard and thus requiring both GCC and SDK...
>
> For it to work with later releases, someone would need to port it to wxOSX/Cocoa.
> But that won't happen until the next release, so is different from "fixing" the port.
>
> Will add llvm-gcc-4.2 and MacOSX10.6.sdk for Lion, but Mountain Lion is out (for now).

The default compiler on Xcode 4.2 and later is clang. If this software does not build with clang, then write:

compiler.blacklist clang

This is how we are doing it in other ports. This helps us to be able to `grep` over all portfiles to find those that are incompatible with clang, so that we can eventually fix them, since clang is the present and the future of compilation on OS X. It seems clear that Apple wants us to consider gcc on OS X dead.

If this software is not incompatible with clang, then certainly don't blacklist clang; instead, allow MacPorts to choose clang as the compiler and do not alter configure.compiler.