universal_archs vs configure.universal_archs

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Oct 13 02:28:24 PDT 2012

On 2012-10-13 19:57 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2012, at 15:41, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>
>> Is configure.universal_archs documented?
>>
>> I don't see it in the guide nor "man portfile".
>> http://guide.macports.org/
>>
>> Does configure.universal_archs default to universal_archs?
>
> I've treated the two as equivalent, just like configure.build_arch and build_arch. But I haven't looked into it lately. Maybe there's a distinction I'm not aware of.

build_arch and configure.build_arch are not equivalent. The former
reflects what is set in macports.conf and is not meant to be modified
(and it's only a variable, not an option, to reflect this.) The latter
is what will actually be used when generating the archflags passed to
configure, can be changed by the portfile, and has a default value based
on build_arch but possibly changed because of supported_archs.

configure.universal_archs and universal_archs are analogous to
configure.build_arch and build_arch, respectively, and are used instead
of them when the universal variant is set.

- Josh