Downloading KDE sources always AWFULLY SLOW

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 30 13:24:55 PDT 2012

On Oct 30, 2012, at 15:19, MK-MacPorts at techno.ms wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2012, at 9:18 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> MacPorts pings all possible master_sites and picks the ones with the lowest response time, which are hoped to be the fastest, but in this case I guess not. Are you actually in or close to Vienna, Austria?
> Yep, very close, am in Bavaria, i.e. just around the corner. :-)

Ok, then one would expect it to be fast...

If it's not fast, just for you, then you could edit _resources/port1.0/fetch/mirror_sites.tcl and remove that URL from the kde group. If you're fetching your ports tree using rsync, then that change will be wiped out next time you sync; if you use Subversion to fetch your ports tree, then the change will persist indefinitely.

If it's not fast, for all users, then we could commit that change. But perhaps first someone should talk to the maintainers of the server to figure out why and if it can be fixed.

On Oct 30, 2012, at 15:22, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> Considering overriding the DNS for that mirror, pointing it to localhost or something where you'll get an immediate 404?

Yes, that would be another option, if it's slow just for Marko. An entry could be added to /etc/hosts for example to point the server at a black hole.