How to depend on a variant (or do I want subports)?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Oct 31 14:02:40 PDT 2012

On Oct 31, 2012, at 4:44 PM, MK-MacPorts at techno.ms wrote:
> If once introduced you'd have to increase version number AND epoch every time.

nope, you just have to keep it there.

The canonical example is a project that resets their version numbers for some reason:

ie.

release 1.0
release 2.0
release 2.1

project organization change restarts their version number with 1.0

So you put epoch in there and just leave it
epoch 1 version 1.0
epoch 1 version 2.0

... and just increase epoch iff they ever reset their version number again in the future (ie. release yet another 1.0)

In practice, this doesn't happen very often, but more often upstream will make a release where MacPorts version comparison routine can't determine that the new version is newer, so you can use epoch to force it to understand.

--
Daniel J. Luke