Server Migration: buildbot

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Mon Sep 17 15:45:40 PDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 04:32:36PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> I don't think we ever want to stop revbumping ports. Not everyone has
> rev-upgrade turned on, so increasing the revision is the only way to
> ensure people rebuild. Having an automated way to revbump all affected
> ports would be good however, and rev-upgrade could play a part of
> that.

We are in control of that, so it's entirely our decision whether a
revbump is our only way to ensure users rebuild.

> It happens occasionally. libpng 1.5 recently. Every time libffi's
> version increases. I've been putting off updating libgsasl because
> it'll need revbumps on other ports.

I don't see how that takes more time than it did before – the rebuild
was needed anyway and the buildbot would have done it anyway: Either
because rev-upgrade detected broken linkage, or because somebody
commited a revbump. Remember, there's no point in keeping a broken
package around.

The only valid point against running it automatically would be false
positives. From what I've seen those are rare (I'd have expected more of
them) and can usually be fixed without adding an exception.

--
Clemens Lang