Server Migration: buildbot

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Sep 17 17:10:44 PDT 2012

On Sep 17, 2012, at 18:13, Dan Ports wrote:

>> I don't see how that takes more time than it did before – the rebuild
>> was needed anyway and the buildbot would have done it anyway: Either
>> because rev-upgrade detected broken linkage, or because somebody
>> commited a revbump. Remember, there's no point in keeping a broken
>> package around.
>
> There might not be much point in keeping a broken package around, but I
> think it's still valuable to have an identifier for each version. That
> way, we know what version someone has installed, what version is
> available on a mirror, that the signature file is for the same version
> as the archive, etc.
>
> We could come up with a separate build ID or something for this, but I
> don't think that buys us anything over just using the revision.

Yes, that's my thinking as well.

The way in which I see it taking more time is in the activating and deactivating of every port and running rev-upgrade to determine if there are any linking errors. I could see that easily taking hours. We have multiple commits each hour, so this would take prohibitively long. Now, if there were instead a database that MacPorts could consult, that could be fast enough.