Accept to GSoC 2013

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Wed Apr 10 13:34:34 PDT 2013

Rainer Müller wrote:

>> We're looking for additional mentors and ideas to help make this a success for students and MacPorts. Be sure to view our current listing:
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode
>
> This is great news after the rejection in last year's edition of GSoC.
>
> So if there is anything you always wanted to see in base, but never had
> time to implement yourself or don't know how to do so, just propose it!

There's our yearly tradition of implementing binary packaging support...

I recently removed the .xpkg since it didn't seem to be going anywhere.
Xar and XML isn't as "popular" as it was, and people "prefer" the .tbz2
If there's any interest in using pkgng* <https://wiki.freebsd.org/pkgng>
as the package manager instead of (the proposed) RPM, then let me know.

* FreeBSD 10.0 is intended to have pkgng as the default packaging system.
Quote: "The pkgng project aims to provide FreeBSD with a state-of-the-art
binary package management system, something that has been sadly lacking
throughout the existence of FreeBSD." (the same can be said for OS X)

It is implemented in C99, using libarchive/libfetch/libutil and friends.

--anders