Help to develop some python package ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Aug 2 12:47:46 PDT 2013

On Aug 2, 2013, at 13:29, Sterling Smith wrote:

> I'm new to the list.  Please gently correct any missteps I make.

Welcome!

> For reasons to remain unnamed, I need to install several python packages for which there are not yet ports.  While I would usually do a `pip install <package`  on linux (and this possibility exists with the py-pip port), I would like to develop the ports so that these ports can be dependencies of a later port (also not yet developed).
>
> I still need to go off and read the documentation for how to develop ports, but I wondered if someone could point me to an already developed portfile for a python package which basically emulates `pip install` so that I could learn by example.

I am not familiar with pip and I don't think we have documentation about how to make python ports. But there are a zillion python modules in MacPorts; take your pick of the ports in the python directory and read the portfile to see how they work. Make sure the port you're looking at uses "PortGroup python 1.0"; older ports using "PortGroup python27 1.0" or similar are not good examples.