Deleting ports: bittorent, py-dsv & spe

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Aug 27 03:02:48 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 12:18 AM, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

>> PS: I believe that some ports are so out-of-date (not maintained
>> upstream and most probably not used by anyone) that they should be
>> deleted. I'll start a new thread about those because that's unrelated
>> and needs special attention. My suggestion would be to have a standard
>> procedure to nominate a port for deletion
>
> This all sounds like *way* too much bureaucracy and process.
> I have seen no problem with our current process for deleting ports
> (that is, using good judgment and maybe asking on a mailing list).

So maybe let's start by asking: can the following ports (wxWidgets
dependencies) be deleted?
- bittorrent
- py-dsv
- spe

Can someone with more authority than me please either delete them or
argue why the ports should be kept or do whatever is needed to get
feedback from potential users?

Bittorent is broken, completely outdated and abandoned (upstream
replaced it by a different implementation and one cannot even find the
sources any longer other than on MacPorts mirror). The port py-dsv
uses the release from 2003 (there was another upstream release later,
but apparently nobody cared to upgrade it since, there are no tickets
open, so I doubt there are any users at all). The last release of spe
seems to date back to 2008 and only mentions wxWidgets 2.6 which is
not to say that it doesn't work with 2.8, but most probably it doesn't
with 2.9 and most probably never will. There are no tickets open and I
also doubt that there are any users for that particular port.

Thank you,
    Mojca