Vote: mysql5 replaced_by ?

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Fri Dec 20 09:51:30 PST 2013

On Nov 19, 2013, at 4:58 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2013, at 15:15, Joshua Root wrote:
>> On 2013-11-20 07:45 , Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>>> Popular choices:
>>> mysql55
>>> mysql56
>>> mariadb
>>> mariadb55 (mariadb replaced_by mariadb55)
>>>

>>> My vote:
>>> +1 mariadb55
>>
>> mysql5 is 5.1, so really the only option is to replace it with mysql51.
>
> Agreed because the whole reason why we have separate ports for different versions of database servers is so that users can do it at a time of their choosing, since doing so may necessitate upgrading the database structure and/or changing the user’s code which uses the database.

Agreed that mysql5 should be replaced_by mysql51.

The mysql5 and mysql51 ports have different default datadirs:
/opt/local/var/db/mysql5{,1}

We should supply some migration help in the mysql5 port notes.
The three options that jump to mind are:

1. Coping mysql5's default datadir to mysql51's default datadir:
$ sudo cp -Rp /opt/local/var/db/mysql5{,1}

2. Move mysql5's default datadir to mysql51's default datadir:
$ sudo mv /opt/local/var/db/mysql5{,1}

3. Change datadir in my.cnf.
[mysqld]
datadir    = /opt/local/var/

Option 1 could run someone out of disk and option 3 could create support confusion if forgotten. Perhaps add all three options to the notes?

While we are at it, should the mysql4 port be replaced_by, retired or left alone?

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)