[101627] trunk/dports/python/py-spyder-devel/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jan 16 14:39:22 PST 2013

On Jan 16, 2013, at 12:23, Eric A. Borisch wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 16, 2013, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> On Jan 16, 2013, at 00:21, Eric A. Borisch wrote:
>> > Ok. I kind like the date formatted ones (has more information encoded in it than '1') and they seem to meet the "only requirements" from the guide. But if minimal bumps are desired, so be it.
>>
>> But it doesn't encode any information, at least, not any that the user can rely upon.
>
> I disagree - the trivial information it encoded (for me, the port maintainer) is when the epoch was last changed. Certainly SVN blame (or praise) can provide the same information. If whitespace changes happen later, svn blame may require you to parse back a few levels, but you can still dig it out.
>
> Trivial? Yes. Useless? Debatable. None of any use to anyone? No.
>
> And I'm not the only one who thinks so -- see python3[23] and py-tkinter / py-gdbm for an example complete with a comment re:why. There 30+ ports that are currently in a date-based epoch, for better or for worse.

I don't feel strongly about it; it's not a big deal. I'm just curious: when would you ever need to know when the epoch was last updated? Why does that matter? or: why does it matter more than being able to find out when any other line of the portfile was set a certain way, which as you mentioned "svn blame" already tells you?