gfortran standalone port

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Fri Jan 18 07:29:53 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Sean Farley <sean at macports.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia
> <jeremyhu at macports.org> wrote:
> lines in dependencies as well.  Maybe 'port lint -R' could be made to do
> this.
> >>
> >> I'm not sure linting all the dependencies is really what you're after
> >> here. You can check for dependencies without licenses with:
> >>
> >> port echo rdepof:myport and license:unknown
> >>
> >> Would doing this in the post-commit hook be useful or just annoying?
> >
> > That would be useful.  The message could state, "This port will not be
> prepared as a binary package because the following ports do not have known
> licenses:

WRT detecting what ports are blocking a binary distributable, isn't this
the right tool [1]: "port_binary_distributable.tcl -v portname"? Or perhaps
the suggestion is for port lint to report this information?

Admittedly, I believe this just returns the first blocker.

I didn't mean to derail this thread with an offhanded comment about
> the binary package, sorry. Regardless of having a binary package or
> not, we still have a problem with dependencies:
>
> $ port install mpich -> no fortran enabled
> [ ... ]

This, again, relates to ticket 126 and not having a way to query
> variants. The active-variant port group doesn't really help because
> many variants (any +gcc4X) would satisfy the fortran need. A decent
> workaround is to "close" all ports that have no fortran enabled
> without +gcc4X and to provide both g95 and gfortran for these ports.
> So, we could have:
>
> $ port install mpich -> fortran enabled with gfortran, clang for other
> compiler

I could certainly (in mpich[-deve]) attempt (not disable) a fortran build
by let configure auto-detect without any variants selected, but then you
get an opportunistic, and not recorded, dependency against whatever
actually provided the fortran compiler. I don't think that's a desirable
situation.

Thanks,
   Eric

[1]