[101464] trunk/dports/_resources/port1.0/group/ compiler_blacklist_versions-1.0.tcl

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Jan 24 06:46:59 PST 2013

On 2013-01-24 15:14, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Sorry to hear smart quotes don't work with your xterm; this is the
> first I've heard of such a problem. I don't know why that would be.
> They work fine in my OS X Terminal.app on Mountain Lion.
>
> I've been switching to smart quotes in many ports already, and I
> meant that I was hoping we would switch to smart quotes everywhere,
> not just in that one file. Portfiles are UTF-8 files; I didn't see
> any reason not to use any valid UTF-8 character in them.

Fun fact: These quotes are used differently depending on the language.
  “English”
  „German“
Note that the English left quote is the same as the German right quote.
That is why I just cannot remember which of these symbols has to appear
at the beginning or at the end.

> Obviously I don't want to cause problems for users... Does anybody
> else have problems with smart quotes, either with them displaying
> wrong or with them locking up the terminal? Do other non-ASCII
> characters cause this same problem?

It's probably not a problem for most users with a recent enough terminal
emulator that supports UTF-8. Actually one would have to check by locale
environment or by other means whether support for UTF-8 is available...
Not sure if this is worth the effort.

I tried with xterm within XQuartz and it seems to work for me (by
checking with 'port info graphite2', which includes smart quotes). I am
using LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8". I experimented with some different values,
but found no way to break it.

Rainer