Proper dependencies for "x11"

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Sun Jul 21 15:53:15 PDT 2013

On Jul 21, 2013, at 13:31, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:

> On Jul 21, 2013, at 3:21 PM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> When exploring different aspects of x11 I realised that gnuplot uses
>>   depends_lib-append port:xpm
>> for x11 variant, but links to the following libraries (among others):
>>
>> /opt/local/lib/libXpm.4.dylib
>> /opt/local/lib/libX11.6.dylib
>> /opt/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.0.dylib
>> /opt/local/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.0.dylib
>> /opt/local/lib/libgio-2.0.0.dylib
>> /opt/local/lib/libXrender.1.dylib
>> /opt/local/lib/libXinerama.1.dylib
>> /opt/local/lib/libXi.6.dylib
>> /opt/local/lib/libXrandr.2.dylib
>> /opt/local/lib/libXcursor.1.dylib
>> /opt/local/lib/libXcomposite.1.dylib
>> /opt/local/lib/libXdamage.1.dylib
>> /opt/local/lib/libXfixes.3.dylib
>> /opt/local/lib/libXext.6.dylib
>> /opt/local/lib/libatk-1.0.0.dylib
>> /opt/local/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.0.dylib
>>
>> What is the proper way to declare the dependencies? Is dependence on
>> xpm alone enough?
>
> No.
>
>> I also notices linking to tiff, freetype, glib2, gettext without
>> declaring an explicit dependence, but some of those are dependencies
>> of gd2, for some I didn't check.
>
> The gnuplot port must declare a dependency on any port that provides a library it links to.

But only if it *REALLY* links to it and isn't just linking to it because glibtool is stupid (I'm so glad for delete_la_files).  You can check if it's a proper link by seeing if it is actually using those symbols (nm -m <binary you want to check> | grep <name of library without version or .dylib>) on an clean install using a recent-ish base (2.2 branch or trunk from the past couple months).

--Jeremy