Request for comments: mpi and using multiple compilers

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Thu Jul 25 19:08:01 PDT 2013

On Thursday, July 25, 2013, Sean Farley wrote:

> eborisch at ieee.org <javascript:;> writes:
>
> > On Thursday, July 25, 2013, Sean Farley wrote:
> >>
> >> But really, we're at the whim of what the macports community whats to do
> >> in this situation. Since my Ph.D is riding on getting a working mpi +
> >> fortran, I'd very much like to iron out these issues and get the ports
> >> chugging along!
> >>

> > Does mpich +gccXX not get you to working fortran and MPI?
> >
> > I'll try to read through some of this thread later, but just looking for
> > clarification on that point.
>
> Again, the issue is when using libraries dependent on mpi and
> exacerbated on dependents of those dependents. This usually results in
> breakage with the inability to specify which compiler to use in the n-th
> dependent.

Again, I haven't scoured the whole thread, but would making sub-ports
rather than variants for the different compilers help? The
dependent's +gcc44+mpich could require the mpich-gcc44 package, for example.

I've also been playing with having the fortran compiler specified
separately with a gfortNN variant, so one could build +clangXX+gfortNN.
This opens up an entire new realm of possible breakage, however.

  - Eric

--
Eric A. Borisch