[108385] trunk/dports/gis/gdal/Portfile

Landon J Fuller landonf at macports.org
Tue Jul 30 07:49:20 PDT 2013

On Jul 22, 2013, at 10:58 AM, Vincent Habchi <vince at macports.org> wrote:

> Exactly. The idea I had is that the users that want their ports to be compiled and optimized for their machine should add the +perf variant in variants.conf. Since +perf is never enabled by default, this would never result in the fetching of the pre-compiled binaries. What do you think?

I'm concerned that the net performance gain here is going to be far outweighed by the maintenance costs and user complexity. Without actually measuring the gains, there's no guarantee that these changes will actually improve performance, and in moving away from the optimization flags et al selected by the original developers, could very possibly trigger bugs in code generation output (e.g., compiler bugs, especially with bleeding-edge clang), or reveal bugs in the project that aren't apparent at lower optimization levels.

-landonf