Buildbot failures after migrating from Distribute to Setuptools

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Jun 11 16:30:37 PDT 2013

On 06/11/2013 03:11 PM, Joshua Root wrote:
> On 2013-6-12 06:53 , Blair Zajac wrote:
>>>
>>> Maintainers should determine whether their modules actually need to be
>>> rebuilt. It shouldn't be needed in most cases.
>>>

>> I don't understand.
>>
>> This would seem to be a requirement to have the deprecated py*distribute
>> be removed for installed ports.  Without each maintainer doing this,
>> then I get these (I had py25-protobuf installed for months):
>>

>> root at poppy-powerbook:/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/sysutils/ansible#
>> port -u -v uninstall
>> --->  Unable to uninstall py25-distribute @0.6.45_0, the following ports
>> depend on it:
>> --->    py25-protobuf @2.5.0_0
>> Error: org.macports.uninstall for port py25-distribute returned: Please
>> uninstall the ports that depend on py25-distribute first.
>> Warning: targets not executed for py25-distribute: org.macports.uninstall
>> Please see the log file for port py25-distribute for details:
>>
>> /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_registry_portfiles_py25-distribute_0.6.45_0/py25-distribute/main.log
>>
>> Warning: Failed to execute portfile from registry for py25-distribute
>> @0.6.45_0
>> --->  Unable to uninstall py25-distribute @0.6.45_0, the following ports
>> depend on it:
>> --->    py25-protobuf @2.5.0_0
>> Error: port uninstall failed: Please uninstall the ports that depend on
>> py25-distribute first.
>
> There's that, yes. Having an inactive copy of distribute hang around
> (unless you -f the uninstall) until the next update of the dependents
> isn't that big a problem though, and I wouldn't say that making everyone
> rebuild the ports when none of the installed files have changed is
> actually "better".

I do find it annoying to see errors in 'port -v -u uninstall'.

> It would be nice to have a way to say "the files haven't changed, but
> refresh the registry as though doing a reinstall".

I get your point, I'm doing uninstall and reinstalls on my PowerBook and
its taking forever.

But isn't that the point of our buildbots, so we can have these the
ports have the correct dependencies and not have to worry about
recompiling time for most of our users?

How about, if there's no update to a port in the commit you made, we
bump the rev?

Blair