After Deactivating a Forced Activation

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 14 13:20:41 PDT 2013

On Jun 14, 2013, at 13:50, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> Would it be worthwhile to record that an activation was forced so we can alert the user to run rev-upgrade after the second package is deactivated?
>
> A forced activation of a second package may not break the original package, so the user may forget about the damage done and the inevitable cause of the first package not working after deactivation of the second package. This simple reminder to run rev-upgrade should help an unaware user fix the issue before experiencing the unexpected outcomes.
>
> Original IRC discussion starts here:
> [20:12:58] http://echelog.com/logs/browse/macports/1371160800

What we need to do is fix the message that's printed when activation fails due to conflicting files. The current message practically seems to recommend the use of "-f", when that's the opposite of the case. The message should be reworded to either not mention "-f" at all, or to explain that it should only be used if the user is abundantly clear about all of its consequences. Forcing activation should *not* be a routine part of any regular MacPorts user's day.