where to put examples?

Peter Danecek Peter.Danecek at bo.ingv.it
Thu Nov 14 10:43:28 PST 2013

Just a short follow up on this, because I still not clear what is considered "correct".

On Oct 23, 2013, at 19:15 , Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> On 2013-10-24 03:24 , Blair Zajac wrote:
>> I disagree, I don't find $prefix/share/examples natural at all, maybe
>> because Linux doesn't have this directory at all.  I'm used to only
>> looking in $prefix/share/doc/$subport for any additional samples,
>> documentation, examples.
>
> There certainly isn't any mention of share/examples in hier(7) or the
> FHS. I don't know why it's in porthier(7), it's been there since the
> file was first checked in.

(1) Following this argumentation:
  - There is no mention of `share/doc` neither.
  - There is `share/man`, so by analogy  `share/doc` might make some sense.

(2) Reality check (my personal non-representative sample):
  share/doc is quite popular among ports (my: 298 entries);
  share/example is not (my: 11)
  ${subport}/examples is not popular neither (my: 8)
  ${subport}/doc (my: 8)
  doc/${subport}/examples is relatively popular (my: 24)

Personally, I think that examples could be considerate part of the documentation, well they may be templates.

Proposal:
- Why not deleting `share/examples` from porthier(7) it is only confusing?
- Keep `share/doc` for documentation, would e not practical to change this and one can use the analogy to `share/man` as excuse ;-)
- make some proposal (not imposing), if there is some choice, where to put documentation and examples in the Guide or on the Wiki; Considering reality and MY sample of port this should probably be `doc/${subport}/examples`;

~petr