Octave Transition

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Mon Nov 18 11:21:57 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013, at 01:18 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:
> > 3) adding "octave-next" for the current 3.7.7 release (yes: it works
> > just fine for me on 10.8 and 10.9);
>
> Why do you want to introduce the new octave-current port? Shouldn't
> users of octave-devel be aware that they are using a development release?

I think a lot of people are using octave-devel because octave does not
install.  These people might not want the next devel version, at this or
for a long time.  So, transition them back to just "octave", and provide
a new port for folks wanting the next version.  That's my thinking.  If
octave worked better, I don't think it would be such a big deal.  That
said, I'm open to other's suggestions on this matter; it's pretty easy
to tweak port names :) - MLD