introducing Trac_Assigner: a script to automatically assign tickets to their port maintainer

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Sep 22 12:04:46 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-22 20:43, Eric Le Lay wrote:
> I was confident I could come up with a working script without too much
> trouble, having done similar driving of websites in the past.
> On the other hand, a plugin for trac required
> that it would be installed in macports' infrastructure, tested on a
> replica, what have you...
> So I've preferred to cover the need first, with
> maybe a bit too much traffic
> - not so much I think, after a first overhaul of old/missed tickets.
>
> I hope it could be set up as a cron job on some macports server, not run
> by every maintainer (no need to: it assigns each and every ticket). This
> way, having it run once per day, the resulting traffic would not be
> too high.

Thanks for the initiative and especially for bringing up this topic
again! We talked about such a script/plugin when the port field in the
tickets was new, but never got started.

> Another way to curb traffic overflow (if it exists) would be to install
> the trac XML-RPC plugin (or is it already installed ?) and let the
> script talk to trac this way instead of parsing web pages/posting forms.

I think we once had this plugin at some point in the past. At the
moment, it does not seem to be installed, as /rpc does not return
anything useful.

We also have the MySQL database of the PortIndex [1] that is used for
the search interface on the website. That could also be used as data
source instead of requiring a working MacPorts installation.

Rainer

[1]
https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/portmgr/jobs/PortIndex2MySQL.tcl