Questions re CI on Macports and KDE

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Apr 14 01:48:53 PDT 2014

On 2014-4-14 10:09 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 13, 2014, at 16:06, Ian Wadham wrote:
>
>> Ben is not sure what would be required to set up CI of KDE in an Apple
>> OS X envirionment.  His immediate questions are to do with Apple OS X
>> installation, but I am sure he has many more.
>>
>>    - Can he virtualise Mac OS X legally on a Linux machine?
>
> No.
>
>>    - Must he invest in Apple hardware?
>
> Yes.
>
>>    - Does OS X licensing forbid installation on non-Apple hardware?
>
> Yes.
>
> These answers are in the OS X Mavericks software license agreement:
>
> http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/OSX109.pdf
>
> If OS X Mavericks is pre-installed “you are granted a limited, non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at any one time”.
>
> If OS X Mavericks is downloaded from the Mac App Store, “you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license (i) to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running OS X Mountain Lion, OS X Lion or OS X Snow Leopard (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control; … (iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software, for purposes of: (a) software development; (b) testing during software development; (c) using OS X Server; or (d) personal, non-commercial use.”
>
> You can look up the SLAs for previous versions of OS X here:
>
> http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/
>
> They are similar, except that permission to run OS X client virtualized is only given for version 10.7 and later; in 10.5 and 10.6 you had to purchase Mac OS X Server for that privilege. No version of 10.4 or earlier was permitted to be virtualized.

But many would argue that virtualisation is not forbidden, so it should
actually be fine provided you're running the VM on Apple hardware.
Unfortunately the only safe answer we can give to these kinds of
questions is "ask a lawyer." The interpretation of the EULA and its
interaction with local laws is sure to vary between jurisdictions. For
example, I'm told that EULAs are illegal in Iceland.

- Josh