[MacPorts] Migration modified

Dave Yost Dave at Yost.com
Mon Dec 15 12:17:50 PST 2014

Thanks.

The message below reminds me of a feature I think would be useful and might help with the problem he mentions: MacPorts could output a minimal list of ports which when installed would result in the same set of ports as currently installed, in other words a list of the ports upon which none of the others depend.

Yes the instructions were concise enough to put them in a script of my own, but it took me at least quite a bit of thinking and reflecting to get it down to a point where no support should be necessary. If the script gets an error somewhere along the way it stops, and the user has to solve the problem and then can run the rest of the commands by hand, as a group. And because it's a script and not a bunch of isolated commands, continuing on is a simple bit of editing and then copy paste into the command line.

Besides, as a general principle, a working script interspersed with comments is a far more usable way to show how to do something then a bunch of instructions for humans interspersed with shell commands. And it is manifestly testable and therefore more likely to be correct.

Dave