Call for Testers: MacPorts Statistics

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sat Feb 8 08:39:52 PST 2014

Hello MacPorts Developers,

I'd like to invite you to test the MacPorts statistics service that Derek Ingrouville wrote during GSoC 2011. I made some progress over the last few days and while I was running a copy of the server for quite a while now I never had time to look at the client to finish it.

Luckily, Joshua was keeping a work-in-progress port version of the statistics client in his user directory and I found it almost complete. With some modifications and some server-side bugfixes, I'm pleased to announce that it works fine for me.

Because statistics aren't any fun without data, I'd like to invite you to test the statistics service. To do that, you can install the `mpstats` port from my user directory [1] or use the shortcut (feel free to inspect the tarball before installing)
  port -yourflags install https://www.neverpanic.de/documents/mpstats.tar

Note that the port uses `startupitem.autostart` in a way that only works with the most recent trunk [2]. If your MacPorts installation isn't compatible, the auto-loading will fail and you'll have to run `port load mpstats` manually. If you'd like to get your statistics data out there immediately, I'd also recommend to run `$prefix/libexec/mpstats submit` after you've installed the port. The webinterface [3] will update immediately. Please also test the web application extensively and fix any typos or bad wording you might encounter in SVN [4] – remember I'm not a native speaker.

NOTE: The mpstats port from my user directory is currently configured to submit to my development installation of the statistics server at http://stats.macports.neverpanic.de/. We do not have an installation as MacOSForge at the moment.

[1] https://trac.macports.org/browser/users/cal/ports/macports/mpstats
[2] https://trac.macports.org/changeset/116820
[3] http://stats.macports.neverpanic.de/
[4] https://trac.macports.org/browser/branches/gsoc11-statistics/stats-server