GSoC 2014 application self introduction

Xu Chao chaoxu at ucdavis.edu
Tue Feb 25 13:17:17 PST 2014

Dear all,
My name is Chao Xu, first year master student at University of California, Davis, CA, US.
I am interested in join this year GSoC MacPorts project, for the task of "Phase out dependency on Xcode".
I am a fan of MacPorts for more than 4 years. MacPorts is really helpful for me during these years. Now I am want to take the chance to make my own contribution to it.
Four years university life gives me strong fundament of Computer Science, especially in the fields of software engineer, programming and operating system.
I have 5 years experience in C which makes kind of "C-coder" in all my university life. Though I don’t know much about Tcl, I guess it’s not difficult to learn since I am also familiar with Python. (I am reading the Tcl tutorial now, hoping it’s not late.) I have also started reading the "Portfile Development" and  trying to understand how port files works follow the advice given by "Cal".
If given the chance, I will finish the project and provide a way to let the port maintainer know whether Xcode is required or not.

Yours sincerely,

Chao Xu
IRC: xuchao