Move part of macports infrastructure to GitHub

Eric Gallager egall at gwmail.gwu.edu
Mon Mar 17 08:39:37 PDT 2014

Besides all the things mentioned in this thread so far, I would like
to note that there are some options to "have it both ways" and have a
bigger presence on GitHub, even if we still keep our Trac
infrastructure as well. For one, there is the "mirrors" account that
has a bunch of read-only mirrors set up for other popular open-source
projects that are hosted elsewhere: https://github.com/mirrors
We could try to get that account to put up a mirror of the MacPorts
read-only
git mirror as well, or just put up a read-only mirror similarly ourselves.
Second,
GitHub has a Trac service hook that can be enabled under a repo's settings
under
"Webhooks & Services", although the notes there say that that hook is
deprecated
in favor of the trac-github plugin: https://github.com/aaugustin/trac-github
We could try using that plugin to be able to still do everything in Trac
and yet also
have a presence on GitHub at the same time. Third, even if we do not want
to move
the MacPorts infrastructure itself to GitHub, we could at least make a
MacPorts
"Organization" on GitHub that MacPorts developers could be added to if they
wanted:
https://github.com/organizations/new
Having a GitHub organization could at least show the GitHub community that
we do
at least have a human presence there, even if we do not necessarily also
have a code
presence there as well.

Anyways, I bring up these ways to "have it both ways" because while I do
use GitHub a lot,
it is becoming harder and harder to do so, as they dropped support for the
Snow Leopard
version of the GitHub desktop a while ago, and more recently they made some
change to the
website that broke it in the Snow Leopard version of Safari, so now
whenever I am using Safari,
I have to remember to open all links to GitHub in Firefox or Chrome
instead, which is annoying.
While I can still use it, it is part of a trend of dropping compatibility
that has me worried
that if we move entirely to GitHub, users on older OSes might eventually
get left behind, without
Trac still being there as a backup. Hence why I prefer having both instead
of just one.

https://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2013-September/024252.html