Move part of macports infrastructure to GitHub

Mark Moll mmoll at rice.edu
Tue Mar 18 20:32:12 PDT 2014

On Mar 18, 2014, at 2:51 PM, Landon Fuller <landonf at macports.org> wrote:
> However, I still think it’s a backwards step to abandon self-hosted control of critical project infrastructure, and I don’t think there’s a compelling technical or administrative argument for Github that outweighs this. I’ve not seen *better* or more *correct* contributions by using Github on projects; rather, it seems to lower the bar (and even that is arguable) on the least important part of the process — submitting the patch.
>
> I also have some ethical qualms about contributing to the furtherance of what amounts to Github’s social network lock-in through network effects. They’re a commercial organization, and I don’t think an open source monoculture defined and driven by GitHub's business goals and ideals of how people should manage projects is to open source's benefit.
>
> Lastly, I question the wisdom of tying a project that has already lived for 12 years to a commercial “SaaS” offering. Recently, I had to move some small projects off of Google Code — because Google had deprecated and removed their data APIs, I had to actually use a screen scraper to (lossily) export my Google Code issues.

I agree with all these points. If a switch to git or mercurial is made, then the transition from svn can be fairly painless if server-side control is maintained. If I am not mistaken, Trac can be configured to use different version control systems on the backend, including git and mercurial (the latter via a plugin, see http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracMercurial). It’s easy enough to automatically push changes to repo clones at github, bitbucket, google code, or all of the above.

Personally, I’d prefer mercurial over git. It’s fairly easy to transition from svn to mercurial, but for git I am often still stuck using the SourceTree GUI from the Bitbucket folks to figure out what I am doing. I am sure I  could get used to git, though.
--
Mark Moll