[MacPorts] #43828: clang-3.4 package uses mismatched libc++ headers and libraries

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Mon May 26 15:10:15 PDT 2014

On May 26, 2014, at 11:09, Jack Howarth <howarth.at.macports at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you ran this pass the Apple clang and libc++ programmers?

Yes.  You can probably search macports-dev mailing list history as well to see where we discussed this in the past.  This was done specifically because we discussed it in house and decided that this was the best approach.  I suggest that you do the same on fink.

> I have never heard of mismatching headers and shared libraries as being an acceptable design decision.

It usually isn't, but the host C++ runtime needs to be binary compatible across releases, and you can not share objects between different runtimes in the same process.

> In fink, we default to both the system c++/v1 headers and the system libc++ shared library.

That's safe as well, but then you don't get the improvements of the newer STL.

> If the packager or user wants to use the libc++ from llvm.org's 3.4.1 release, they are told to use -cxx-isystem %p/include/c++/v1 -L%p/lib/c++ to access them.

Have fun dealing with all the users who shoot themselves in the foot following your instructions.

--Jeremy