passing default variants to dependencies?

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Sun Nov 16 15:40:56 PST 2014

On Nov 16, 2014, at 5:32 PM, David Strubbe <dstrubbe at macports.org> wrote:

> All right, but can you clarify about default variants: is it true that default variants are not passed to dependencies, but all other variants are? And, is there any good reason for this? It would solve my problem immediately if they were passed on.

As far as I know, variants are only passed from the command line, and even then they are only applied when dependencies have to be installed. Running

    port install foo

where foo has some default variant +bar is *not* equivalent to running

    port install foo +bar

I don't know the reason for this behavior.

vq