unsigned kexts on Yosemite

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 22 16:25:04 PDT 2014

On Oct 22, 2014, at 1:40 PM, Dan Ports wrote:

> I haven't upgraded to Yosemite myself yet, but I'm hearing that in
> 10.10 the system refuses to load any unsigned kernel modules by
> default.

I can understand the security motivations behind this change. You don't want untrusted code running in your kernel.

> Worse, the only option for working around it appears to be
> turning off signature checks entirely.
>
> This is obviously a problem for ports that build kexts, like osxfuse.
> What can we do about this?

We could remove these ports from MacPorts. Are signed binaries of them available from their developers? If not, we could encourage the developers to provide them, and refer them to this issue.