llvm-config not found on OSX 10.9.4

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Wed Sep 10 08:28:11 PDT 2014

On Sep 10, 2014, at 3:18 AM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> On 2014-9-10 17:02 , Marko Käning wrote:
>> Hi Ryan,
>>
>> On 10 Sep 2014, at 08:56 , Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>>> On Sep 10, 2014, at 1:27 AM, Marko Käning wrote:
>>> Well, we're missing llvm-config. :) I agree Apple does not provide such an executable. I don't know why. You could ask Apple.
>>
>> oh, so what could be done to work around it?
>
> Install an llvm port, I guess?

This isn't a workaround, it's required and expected because *Xcode does not provide LLVM*.

Go ahead, look for it. You won't find it. Won't find it on Mountain Lion, either.

LLVM is a set of (mostly static) libraries used to build compilers. Clang / Apple's "LLVM Compiler" is a compiler built on LLVM. Once you use LLVM to create a compiler, you do not have to distribute LLVM with that compiler, and Apple does not. And wisely so, because there's no good reason for a set of general development tools to distribute a compiler construction kit.

vq