MySQL variant names

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Mon Sep 15 12:43:22 PDT 2014

On Sep 13, 2014, at 6:23 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> We need to do some work making MySQL variant names consistent in ports and adding variants to ports for newer MySQL ports.
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/39961
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/44484

And this ticket:
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/43431

> What should the variant names be? The ports the variants would use are:
>
> mysql51 @5.1.72
> mysql55 @5.5.38
> mysql56 @5.6.19
> mariadb @5.5.39
> mariadb-10.0 @10.0.12
> mariadb-10.1 @10.1.0
> percona @5.6.19-67.0
>
> (The mysql4 and mysql5 ports would be made obsolete and any remaining variants using those ports would be made aliases for newer variants.)
>
> The difficulty is that the newest ports mariadb-10.0 and mariadb-10.1 use a hyphen in their names, and the hyphen is not a legal character in variant names.
>
> Do we want the variants to be named without dots in the version number:
>
> mysql51
> mysql55
> mysql56
> mariadb55
> mariadb100
> mariadb101
> percona56
>
> Or with dots:
>
> mysql5.1
> mysql5.5
> mysql5.6
> mariadb5.5
> mariadb10.0
> mariadb10.1
> percona5.6
>
> Or do we want whether there is a dot in the version number to be based on the corresponding port name:
>
> mysql51
> mysql55
> mysql56
> mariadb55
> mariadb10.0
> mariadb10.1
> percona56

Is a dot "." a legal character in variant names?

> Or something else?

Given:
mariadb
mariadb-10.0
mariadb-10.1
mysql51
mysql55
mysql56
mysql-5.7
percona

1. If dots are legal:
string map {- _} ${name_mysql}
mariadb
mariadb_10.0
mariadb_10.1
mysql51
mysql55
mysql56
mysql_5.7
percona

2. If dots are not legal:
string map {. _ - _} \${name_mysql}
mariadb
mariadb_10_0
mariadb_10_1
mysql51
mysql55
mysql56
mysql_5_7
percona

3. Alt. if dots are not legal:
string map {. _ - {}
mariadb
mariadb10_0
mariadb10_1
mysql51
mysql55
mysql56
mysql5_7
percona

I prefer 1, or 2 if 1 is not an option.

> I would like to avoid having variants named just "mariadb" or "percona" because they give the erroneous impression that they are the preferred variant to use for that fork, or perhaps that they are the latest version of that fork.
>
> Which of the variants should be default? I would suggest either the latest stable mariadb, or the latest stable Oracle mysql.

mariadb +1

The trend among distros including RHEL and SUSE is shifting to mariadb:
https://mariadb.com/blog/rhel7-transition-mysql-mariadb-first-look

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)