Retiring Python 2.4 and 2.5

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Tue Sep 16 11:23:12 PDT 2014

On Sep 16, 2014, at 1:30 AM, Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:

> If I were you, I'd set a timeout and if nobody argues that we should keep them
> for a good reason, delete them once the timeout has passed. Probably ask -users,
> too.

I like this.

> While we're at it, isn't 2.6 unsupported as well?

Yes, and so are 3.1 through 3.3. Frankly, I'd fully support replacing all of them with python2 @2.7.8 and python3 @3.4.1 (which would also make it easy to comply with PEP 394*), but that might be a wee bit radical for some.

My problem with python24 and python25 (aside from having to maintain dead software) is that they aren't framework installations, making them even more of a pain to deal with. Note the 2.4/2.5-specific logic in python-1.0, for example. python26 is pretty similar to python27, at least.

    * http://python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/

vq