echo script output to the display

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 20 16:21:50 PDT 2014

On Sep 20, 2014, at 6:18 PM, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

>>> Setting test.run and test.cmd doesn't make MacPorts run the tests automatically.
>>> You still have to run `sudo port test` explicitly to run tests.

>>> No. I'm not aware of a proper method to do this, either. You might be
>>> able to fiddle with MacPorts' internal verbosity setting, but that
>>> would be a hack.
>>
>> Is the test phase for debugging?
>
> Yes, it's for MacPorts developers. It's not supposed to be used by end-users.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. The test phase tests the software. Users may well want to test that the software they're going to use passes its test suite. Of course, not all ports have test suites, and of those that do not all of them pass. Not all maintainers run their ports' test phases either.