stub keyword

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Sep 25 05:33:10 PDT 2014

I would like to get a "stub" keyword into MacPorts base, to make creating stub ports easier and more consistent, and also to be able to programmatically identify stub ports.

The default value would be "no". Stub ports could then set:

stub yes

This would be equivalent to:

supported_archs noarch
archive_sites
distname
use_configure no
build {}
destroot {
    xinstall -d -m 755 ${destroot}${prefix}/share/doc/${subport}
    system "echo \"${name} is a stub port\" > ${destroot}${prefix}/share/doc/${subport}/README"
}

This could be used in the obsolete, perl5, php, and python portgroups and in the handful of independent stub ports.

If I were writing a Tcl script using the MacPorts API, there should be a way for me to determine if a port is a stub port.

Perhaps there should also be a way to identify stub ports on the command line.