~/.macports

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 04:57:35 PST 2015

On Tuesday February 10 2015 12:47:52 Clemens Lang wrote:

Hi Clemens,

> ~/.macports is used instead of /opt/local/var/macports when you run MacPorts in
> a root installation but without root privileges. As such, MacPorts will put

When `macportsuser root` in macports.conf?

I don't know if it's supported practice, but I find it works fine to set macportsuser to myself. After all, that's what it boils down to :)

> downloaded tarballs, work directories and build support files there when you,
> for example, run
>   port build qt4-mac # note the lack of sudo

Hmmm, does something look at the permissions in ${prefix}/var/macports or will things just fail if you execute commands in the "fetch, extract, ..., destroot" series and don't have appropriate permissions to the directories used for those commands?
I'd say it's the latter.

> The "home" directory in there is used as a target for $HOME during build, because
> some builds require a writable home but the default of the macportsuser is not,
> and we don't want to clutter your real home with whatever $buildsystem thinks it
> wants to put there.
>
> You can simply delete ~/.macports

Ian: if `port work foo` returns nothing it (usually?) means the last thing done was a `port clean foo` ...

R.