~/.macports

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 09:32:59 PST 2015

On Tuesday February 10 2015 17:10:37 Chris Jones wrote:

> 1) at least is solvable as you can configure your sudoers list to allow
> your main user to run your port command (and that command only) through
> sudoers without requiring a password.

I know that, but for some reason I've never managed to get that to work following just the instructions in the file. I'm sure I must have been doing something wrong, but in practice it was just as easy, for individual commands, to make a wrapper that prepends sudo.

> Doing what you are doing, running as your main user is just a bad idea
> all round IMHO... Do what you want, I'm sure you will, but its not
> recommended or supported for very good reasons..

That's what I always say to others too ;)
For myself, I consider that I've been administering Unix and Linux machines since long enough (the early nineties) (and managing to get around lack of admin permissions on a number of other machines O:-)) and know what I'm doing on my own machine. Enough at least not to blame others if something goes awry (not if it's staring in my face, in any case).

R.