MacPorts forum(s)? (was: Re: memberlist)

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Tue Feb 10 14:45:39 PST 2015

On Feb 10, 2015, at 5:29 PM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I see them as complementary. Some people prefer mailing lists, others like myself prefer to keep their incoming mail as few as possible.

"Complementary" implies that the items in question reinforce each other in a positive manner.

Having both forums and mailing lists would be harmful to the community. We'd end up with two bubbles (one much smaller, probably) that don't interact with each other.

The only way forums would work is if we migrated *all* discussion there.

> If not only because new posts on a forum (= topics I'm not already participating in) cannot pop up in your email and nag you to get distracted.

Use email filters.

> With some forums you get only a single email alert when there's new content after your last visit, not a copy of each and every message posted, which is a nice feature too.

Use Mailman digests.

http://www.list.org/mailman-member/node27.html

> I guess it should also be possible to set up some kind of gateway between a forum and specific mailing lists

Like third-party archive sites basically do?