Editing maintained ports

Mihai Moldovan ionic at macports.org
Wed Jan 7 05:42:07 PST 2015

On 07.01.2015 02:09 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> [...]
> I opened
>     http://trac.macports.org/ticket/46005
> with basically zero response from maintainers (apart from the very few
> proactive users like David or Lawrence who started working on
> non-maintained ports).
>
> [...]
>
> What's the proper way to get this done without violating the rules? In
> particular: should one open one hundred tickets asking for permission
> to change whitespace for every single port?

The one ticket keeping track of all ports is fine, to my mind. That's
what was done for the python PIL/Pillow change.

Additionally, I fired off (automated) emails to all
non-openmaintainer/nomaintainer port owners with a template describing
what is to be done, replacing ##PORT## with the port name, attaching the
diff and asking them to either apply the patch themselves (or use a
better approach, if mine is faulty) or grant me permission to apply the
patches myself.

> Let alone the fact that
> probably 90% of those requests wouldn't even be answered.

In that case, 72 hours grant you the right to enforce maintainer timeout
rules.

Mihai