/opt/local/macports/software

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Jan 20 07:35:54 PST 2015

> On Jan 20, 2015, at 10:20 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday January 20 2015 10:13:53 Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>>> Question: what happens if you invoke ports when ${portdbpath} is offline? Does if fail gracefully?
>>
>> it would have taken less time to test that than it did to send the email ...
>
> #> port info foo
> portdbpath /opt/local/var/macports2 does not exist and could not be created: can't create directory "/opt/local/var/macports2": permission denied
>    while executing
> "mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, portdbpath /opt/local/var/macports2 does not exist and could not be created: can't create directory "/opt/local/var/macports2": permission denied
>
> or
>
> port registry doesn't exist at "/tmp/opt/local/var/macports/registry/registry.db" and couldn't write to this location
>    while executing
> "registry::open $db_path"
>    (procedure "mportinit" line 610)
>    invoked from within
> "mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, port registry doesn't exist at "/tmp/opt/local/var/macports/registry/registry.db" and couldn't write to this location
>
> Trying these 2 quick possibilities already too me longer than it took to write and send the email; testing things thoroughly would probably take even longer.

it's generally considered rude to redirect private mail to a mailing list.

but since you did ... the point was that instead of sending a long email with a bunch of easily self-answered questions to the list - you could do some tests yourself and provide some useful content (since you clearly are interested in improving macports, but also clearly aren't interested in generating patches for base/ improvements).

--
Daniel J. Luke