The status of Apache Tomcat

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Tue Jul 7 01:44:27 PDT 2015

Hi,

----- On 7 Jul, 2015, at 10:27, Björn Raupach raupach at me.com wrote:

> The ports for Apache Tomcat are pretty out of date. I found
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/28938 but did not get any replies. Does anyone
> know the reasoning behind it? I do Java development most of the time and it is
> so awesome with MacPorts!

Basically, nobody reviewed it, and nobody asked on the list (which is the standard
procedure if a ticket gets stuck in need or review or commit).

> I started working on a Portfile for Apache Tomcat and I think I can do that if
> someone is kind enough and looks over it a couple of times. Can I just the
> portfile here?

Standard procedure is to attach the Portfile to a ticket and post the ticket here
asking for reviews.

> Side question: Is OpenJDK possible for MacPorts? I saw the Java ports rely on
> Kaffe but wouldn’t OpenJDK be better suited?

Kaffe is old and not really the current state of affairs. We don't really package
any JVM/JDK at the moment and rely on people installing Oracle's. If you are
willing to work on that and provide and maintain a JDK, I'd welcome that.

--
Clemens Lang