Setting up MacPorts libsolv branch and Testing libsolv search

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Mon Jun 22 08:15:45 PDT 2015

----- On 22 Jun, 2015, at 16:34, Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org wrote:

> It would be good if libsolv would be installed automatically when this branch is
> installed (much like Tcl is automatically installed). The absence of this
> functionality means that building the branch will fail for users who do not
> have libsolv installed. That includes our automated build server, so you're
> missing out on the benefits automated test builds provide.

Yes, we are aware of that. Unfortunately, libsolv uses CMake which doesn't come
with OS X. This puts us in a bootstrap problem situation. A possible solution
would be to ship our own autotools-based build system for (parts of) libsolv as
needed, but we haven't looked into that.

> We do have a libsolv port but the upstream version is not yet released
> (which supports Tcl bindings), probably we will fix it using patch
> file so that setting up libsolv will be just "port install libsolv".
> This seems to be a better option than building from upstream (which is
> a bit tedious job) so that other users can start testing the branch
> ASAP and not wait to build lot of other stuff manually.

At the moment, port install libsolv would not put the Tcl module in the right
place because we'd have to configure libsolv differently to achieve that.

--
Clemens Lang