Could a port have a dependency on a port variant?

Joël Brogniart Joel.Brogniart at laposte.net
Thu Jun 25 03:19:35 PDT 2015

Hi,

Could a port have a dependency on a port variant?

For example, the port for auto-multiple-choice has a variant -latex as this software is able to work either with MacPorts TexLive installation or the official OS X TexLive installation. Users of TexLive generally prefer to use the official version as it contains many valuable tools. There are many problems when the official version of TeXLive coexists with Macports version. So users with a non MacPort version of TexLive could install and use auto-multiple-choice without problem.

On my machine I have a local portfile for the development version of auto-multiple-choice (http://project.auto-multiple-choice.net/projects/auto-multiple-choice/wiki/Building_AMC_for_MAC_OSX>. But this version depends on dblatex port to transform DocBook documentation to Tex. And the dblatex port depends on MacPorts version of TexLive. So the -latex variant of auto-multiple-choice is disabled by the dependency of dblatex to TexLive.

I could (try to) transform dblatex portfile to have a -latex variant and to use an allready installed version of TexLive. But could I make the -latex variant of auto-multiple-choice depends on the -latex version of dblatex?